Post Commander Job Description
Manual of Procedure:
Among the duties of a Post Commander, the Commander shall:
- Preside at all meetings of the Post, conducting such meetings in accordance with Article X of the By-Laws and Manual of Procedure and other applicable parliamentary rules.
- Enforce strict observance of the laws and usages of this organization, including Post, County Council (if applicable), District and Department By-Laws and the Congressional Charter, National By-Laws, Manual of Procedure and Ritual and all lawful orders from proper authorities.
- Insist that Post business and activities be conducted in such a manner that they do not violate any applicable governmental law, ordinance or regulation nor bring or tend to bring dishonor or embarrassment upon the Post, its members or the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States.
- Decide all questions of law and usage in the Post, subject to appeal pursuant to the By-Laws.
- Appoint officers, committee chairmen and committees not otherwise provided for. The Commander may remove such appointed officers, committee chairmen and committees at their pleasure. The Commander shall, by virtue of their office, be a member of all committees.
- Approve all disbursements of funds properly authorized by the Post.
- Assure that the office of Quartermaster is bonded according to Section 703 of the By-Laws.
- Assure that all dues and other monies due the National Headquarters and Department are forwarded promptly together with accurate reports and returns pertaining thereto.
- Assure that all reports are correctly prepared and promptly forwarded, that all the business of the Post is handled with dispatch and that all necessary licenses and permits are obtained for proper operation. Ensure that a properly completed Report of Election of Officers for the ensuing year is submitted to Department and National Headquarters by June 1.
- Assure that the Post Trustees have examined the books and records of the Post and prepared the Post Trustees Quarterly Report of Audit no later than the end of the month following the last day of each quarterly period.
- Assure that the Commander or their representative attend all properly called District Conventions or meetings and County Council meetings (if applicable).
- Comply with and perform all of the duties required by the laws and usages of this organization, the provisions of the National By-Laws, the Manual of Procedure andRitual and Department, District, County Council (if applicable) or Post By-Laws pertaining to the duties and obligations of a Post Commander and lawful orders from proper authority and perform such other duties as are usually incident to the office.
Failure without just cause to perform these duties may result in removal from office.
- Chairs the Ways and Means Committee
- Member of the House Committee